A Message from OACP President Matt Scales
Welcome to the Oregon Association Chiefs of Police (OACP) website. I am honored to serve as the OACP President for the 2023-2024 term and look forward to representing our profession and association around the State of Oregon, and around this great Nation of ours. To all our members, thank you for your services to Oregon and the cities you serve. If you are a visitor, please explore our website to learn more about what resources and programs we offer, and if you are not a member of OACP yet, I highly recommend joining to enjoy the ease of access to a vast network of incredibly talented and committed individuals. We need to lean on one another during these challenging and complex times, and what better way than connecting as a member of OACP.
OACP was formed in 1953 by committed leaders with a mission to “promote and enhance the highest ethical and professional standards in law enforcement at all levels throughout Oregon,” and we continue that mission each and every day. As challenging as these times are in the law enforcement profession, we continue to model the core values of OACP, and we continue to remain strong and united in protecting and serving our communities to the best of our abilities. We value partnerships and collaboration, and I look forward to carrying on this tradition and doing the heavy lifting of those who have come before me in representing you all.
The executive staff of OACP, led by Kevin and Marie Campbell, are all about service and ensuring that we have a seat at the table during necessary times, and that our collective voice is heard. There is no better group to help our organization stay engaged and relevant as difficult decisions are made in our State.
Our membership of the OACP consists not only of Chiefs of Police, but also leaders within municipalities as well as the Oregon State Police. Our broad spectrum of police professionals includes criminal justice organizations statewide, as well as retired police chiefs.
The OACP has many programs and opportunities to promote our mission including:
- Holding professional conferences and sponsoring training sessions several times per year for not only our membership, but other individuals as well.
- Members regularly testify at the Oregon legislature to work to secure the passage of laws that serve the interests of our Oregon communities.
- Supporting the Oregon Accreditation Alliance which has established professional standards of accountability, management, and operations for Oregon’s public safety community.
- Partnering with and supporting a variety of non-profit organizations who, along with OACP, are committed to making Oregon a great place to live, work, and visit.
- Provide scholarships to students attending college to attain a degree in Criminal Justice or related fields.
Over the past several years the State of Oregon has faced many challenges, and our organization is committed to working with our community partners, citizens, and legislature to ensure our communities are safe and those who work in our profession do so with integrity and professionalism.
Again, I want to thank all of you for the work you do day in and day out and look forward to engaging all of you in ways which we can continue to ensure we carry the torch of those who came before us.
All the best,
Chief Matt Scales